Artist Profile: P.J. Kaewsawang

Michael Zhang, Campus News Reporter

At the age of 7, Kittithat Punjan (PJ) Kaewsawang ’19 stepped into the world of photography when his mother first showed him the different functions of a camera. At 13 he asked for his own camera, but his mother asked if he had the passion to do it. His answer was simple yet determined: Yes. After many years Kaewsawang still keeps this camera as a cherished possession and fond memory.

When taking a photo, Kaewsawang takes into consideration many aspects of the photo. He says that there are three main aspects to be a successful photographer‒–“The right location, a good team, and you yourself.”

As an experienced photographer, Kaewsawang has done multiple internships and taken photos for celebrities. Back home in Thailand, he is even paid to do different shots for various occasions like weddings and graduations.

Kaewsawang’s hard work has paid off. Recently, his piece “After Death” received a national gold medal in photography. This impressive photo was one of the five Kent School photos that won a state gold medal, but it’s the only one that moved on to the next round and won a national medal. This piece, which focuses on a girl standing in a wasteland, features work from a designer friend of his. Kaewsawang expresses his gratitude to his friend, since he believes that the team is as important as the photographer himself.

Kaewsawang is just starting his career as a photographer and hopes to “make something only [he] could.” His next project is inspired by The Great Gatsby. After reading the book and watching the movie in English class, he wants to create art that pulls different parts of the Gatsby style together.

Kaewsawang’s wonderful photography isn’t his only contribution to Kent. He currently runs the Buddhist club and participates in a variety of sports from cross country to club basketball to 3rds lacrosse. He even plans on volunteering to be a school photographer for the Kent community.

“To become a truly fantastic photographer, you have to research more and think about everything from the clothes to the location to the angle,” says Kaewsawang. “Just think about everything.”