Teacher Profile: Mr. Jonas Akins

Brian Kim, Squad Reporter

A Harvard University graduate, Mr. Jonas Akins joined Kent School in 2012. Since then, he has taught sections of Ancient and Medieval History, U.S. History, and AP Government.

As he has just begun teaching AP U.S. History this year, Mr. Akins is excited to extensively talk about the Roaring Twenties, his favorite time period in the United States’ history. According to Mr. Akins, during this era, United States had the power to intervene in international affairs, but simply did not know how to use its influence effectively.

Through such perceptive analysis of history, he seeks to build a sense of citizenship in students, including those from abroad. He does not emphasize taking exams and tests to a great extent, believing that “a student may receive excellent grades, and yet lack the citizenship and in-depth comprehension of the flow of history.”

In developing this sense of citizenship, Mr. Akins believes students must feel free to express their thoughts on a wide range of topics. His discussion-heavy teaching method aptly demonstrates such belief. Believing that “students best learn when [the] teacher speaks the least,” Mr. Akins emphasizes the importance of student participation. He adds, “it is important for students to actively engage in classes to understand the materials.”

He, therefore, sees the round-table system, also called the Harkness method, as one of the most important features in the course of AP U.S. History, for it gives every student an equal opportunity to share his or her ideas, without separating the teacher from the students. The Harkness method is a very democratic way of education, he says, because it limits the teacher’s authority to an extent, allowing students to voice their own opinions.

For Mr. Akin’s distinctive teaching style (as well as his humor, generosity and remarkable fashion sense) Mr. Akins has gained the favor of Kent’s students and teachers alike.