Staff Profile: Harold Orr of the Dining Hall

Adrian Lo, Campus News Reporter

Few teachers can say they have worked at Kent for more than twenty years, and even fewer can boast a tally of forty years. Harold Orr, a valued member of the dining hall staff, has been at Kent for forty-one years and remains an active and beloved member of our community.

Orr started working in the dining hall at the age of sixteen, fresh out of Westside State School. “[I] used to be a dishwasher, set up the dining hall, organize the pantry, and work in the bakeshop,” he said. During his time at Kent, Orr has met thousands of students from across the world.

As a veteran of the school, Orr has unique insight into how Kent has evolved over the years. When asked about his most memorable Kent moment, he recalled the time when the school barn, which housed cows that provided the school with fresh milk every day, burned down.

Though much has changed in forty years, Orr finds the dining hall to be relatively unchanged, other than the head table being switched a few times.

A respected and well-loved member of the Kent community, Orr is currently working towards his college degree and is taking online classes. When he is not working in the dining hall, he can be seen studying in the library with Kent students.