Boys basketball goes two for two

Wes Gordon, Campus Reporter

Kent boys varsity basketball is on fire after wins at both West Point Prep and the MacDuffee School.

This years’ team benefits from three very capable post graduates – Jamil Gambari ’16, Kylan Guerra ’16, and Maxime Boursiquot ’16 – in addition to four boys that have not played varsity level basketball – Drew Richards ’17, Daven Rajesh ’16, Sean Kennedy ’17, and CJ Britto ’19. But Co-Captain Kena Gilmour ’16 attributes their recent successes to “going into every game thinking of our opponent as our rival.”

In their first competition against West Point Prep, they came in with the odds stacked against them. Head Coach Jason Coulombe described the situation: “They had played ten games before playing we had (that’s more games than we had practices)… and they’re an all post-graduate team that is very tough, disciplined and extremely talented.” Despite this, every player on the varsity team got game time as they came away with a three-point win.

Kent came into their next game with a disadvantage again, with star players Maxime Boursiquot ’16 affected by a groin strain and co-captain Jack Stevens ’16 sick with the flu. Both players decided to play through their ailments and made the difference in Kent’s first regular season game against the MacDuffie School.

The MacDuffie team had a clear height advantage, with two players around the seven-foot mark, and the game went back and fourth for the first three quarters. Coach Coloumbe excitedly described the turning point in the game: “We competed like crazy. Jack hit a three with thirty seconds left and put Kent ahead three points which stood as the final margin.”

With two close wins under their belt, Kent’s varsity basketball team has good momentum coming into their game against Canterbury and will hopefully be three for three.