Artist Profile: Nam Pham ’16

George Bian, Campus Reporter

“Independent, fertile imagination, innovative, master of so many materials.” Such are the phrases that Ms. Lynch, Kent’s AP Studio Art teacher, uses to describe Nam Pham ’16.

One of the projects Nam has worked on this year required students to look at some works of great artists and come up with similar concepts of their own. In the interview with Nam, she said she found a work of Nayumi Tsuknda very interesting. “It is kind of like a hat,” said Nam, “so I created this hat myself with branches.” This kind of innovation and inspiration has led her teachers to admire Nam’s passion and creativity. Said Ms. Lynch, “The project that is required for the class is very challenging, yet Nam solved the conceptual idea with ease and came up with some great ideas.”Nam Pham 4

Another project that Nam is working on for her class has to do with ceramics, which she masters as well. She created a set of women figures, all taken from Vietnamese history, to show the power of women. Each woman has her own unique status and story. Queen, farmer, scholar and soldier are all incorporated in her works. Moreover, she intended to add metal pieces along with the ceramic to show power and determination of each woman. For example, one of her personal favorite piece, a female farmer is showering along the river. One of her arm is carrying a tool to shower and for the other, Nam told me she would make a metal arm for the farmer because she said most Vietnamese farmer lead a very hard life. They have to do field work just as men do in the day and take care of the family after work. “The shower time is the only time that they are alone,” said Nam. “I want to show how powerful and how much responsibility is carried on female Farmer’s shoulders by adding a metal arm.”

Nam Pham 3

However, the master herself wants to be an architect. “I like art more as something on the side instead of my main career,” said Nam humbly. “I don’t think I am as good as what Ms. Lynch told me I am.”

Ms. Lynch fully appreciates Nam’s decision for her own future, yet, when asked if Nam has things to improve, said that Nam “needs to blow her trumpet harder. She is too humble about all the amazing works. She is the one of the most talented artists I have ever taught.”Nam Pham 2