Kent nearly “steals home” against Berkshire

Nelson Thomas, Staff Writer

Kent girls varsity softball played a skilled Berkshire team on Saturday, May 2nd. After trailing for a majority of the game, the Kent team showed their grit in the end, scoring six runs in the bottom of the last inning. This comeback was halted, unfortunately, and the Kent team fell one run short of tying the contest.

The Kent team demonstrated a lot of athleticism during the game, stealing bases and making plays throughout to put their teammates in the best situations to win. Courtney Thayer ’15 had two stolen bases on the game and one score. Tyler O’Toole ’16 was impressive as well, posting a single RBI and making impressive defensive plays to get her team back on the plate. It was Nicole You ’17, however, who stole the show and led the charge in the last innings with a single base hit, an RBI and an incredible play stealing home to put her team within striking distance of the lead. The talented sophomore recounts the play by simple saying “the catcher bobbled it and I just took off.”

The Kent team has gone 4-4 so far this season, winning and losing by high margins. The perseverance to battle back with the support of a roaring clubhouse in the last inning of the game demonstrates the competitive spirit that embodies this team. That attribute may become to be the deciding factor in some of the Lions games this season. Look for these girls to bounce back on Wednesday, May 6th against Taft.