Nurturing, Healing and Love:

One mother’s response to the Sandy Hook tragedy

Noah Burhance, Staff Writer

On January 13, Scarlett Lewis came to St. Joseph’s Chapel to share the remarkable story of her beloved son, Jesse McCord Lewis, who was tragically shot in the Sandy Hook shooting on December 14, 2012 in Newtown, Connecticut.

Lewis talked about how, despite all the tragedy she has faced, she chooses to focus on the positives of Jesse’s life. Just like Newtown’s motto, Lewis chooses love. According to the website for the foundation she established in Jesse’s memory, he was “an amazing child, full of light and love that was unmistakable in his presence,” according to his mother. Lewis says, “he brought joy to the world with his infectious and radiant smile. He was smart and compassionate beyond his years.”

It was right before his death, however, when Jesse did something extraordinary.

Lewis describes that her son “died bravely trying to lead other children to safety.” She understands why Jesse ran into the hallway to help as soon as he heard the shots because “that was the way he lived his life—fearless, full of courage and strength.”

Jesse had a bit of wisdom in him, too, according to Lewis’s website. “Before my 6-year-old son Jesse Lewis lost his life at Sandy Hook School on December 14, 2012, he had written a message on our kitchen chalkboard: Nurturing Healing Love. The words “nurturing” and “healing” are a part of the definition of compassion across almost all cultures. Love is the foundation on which happy and healthy lives are built.”

The Jessie Lewis Choose Love Foundation was born from this exact chalkboard. Initiated by the Lewis family, the charity aims “to create awareness in our children and our communities that we can choose love over anger, gratitude over entitlement, and forgiveness and compassion over bitterness.”

Lewis’s speech on forgiveness was very powerful, inspiring many Kent students and teachers.

“I thought Scarlett’s talk was a powerful,” said Dean Kelderman. “She certainly held our attention and our hearts. And while on one level the tragedy she has experienced is beyond what most of us will ever know, so much of what she shared reaches into ordinary life. We all struggle with forgiveness. We all wrestle with controlling our anger. And we all want to live compassionate lives. I think everyone took away some guiding truths from her visit.”

The students of Kent have worked to contribute to Newtown’s healing and the prevention of gun violence since the tragedy. In the past two years, students have participated in anti-gun legislation rallies, raised money for The Sandy Hook Promise Organization, and organized annual 5k runs for the benefit the same charity.

Those interested in learning more can visit the Foundation’s website at http://www.jesselewischooselove.org or see Ms. Lewis’s TED talk at http://www.tedxfayetteville.com/speakers/scarlett-lewis/.