Kent’s Office of Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity

Polina Frenkel, Campus News Reporter

The Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity program’s main responsibility is to create a sense of belonging for every student at Kent. Mr. Hall, the director of the EID, works to support the faculty and staff in making sure that every student feels empathy, care, and support, which are essential in creating the environment where students feel they belong. Ms.Wallace, the assistant of the EID, is the support to Mr. Hall, where her responsibilities are equal to Mr. Hall’s responsibilities. “Ms. Wallace connects with kids here like no one else because she cares so much about every student. We work in partnership,” Mr. Hall says.

A couple of years ago, this program was called DEI. However, last year, the program’s name was changed to EID. The idea behind this change is to firstly focus on equity, then inclusion and then diversity. “From diversity’s perspective, we are getting this part right: students are coming from different areas, different countries, different socioeconomic backgrounds, and there is a mix among genders. However, the hardest part is bringing equity between all the different students. When you come on campus, we are all equal,” Mr. Hall says. 

While creating equity among students is always a work in progress, just as it is in the outside world, the EID program is working on bringing equitable and inclusion practice to the classroom. More specifically, this means changing the way the students are educated. This means making space for world issues such as social justice and equity. “We are working on how to educate students on things that matter to us as living in the community, like caring about another, and how to bring them into the classroom,” Mr. Hall says.  

Over the years, the EID department has experienced positive changes in the sense that it is a part of the administration’s team. “I report directly to the Head of the School, and we now have an office with two people, while in the past this used to be a coordinator job,” Mr. Hall explains. “Overall, this change speaks to how the school feels about the importance of bringing equity, inclusion and diversity,” Mr. Hall adds.