Senior Prefect Hudson Small ’23

Veronica Jiang, Campus Reporter

Hudson Small, a 6th former, comes from Los Angeles, a totally different environment compared to Connecticut. When he arrived three years ago, the most challenging thing for him was adjusting himself to “a new culture,” he states. Among a bunch of schools, Hudson picked Kent because he wanted to further develop his hockey skills. However, through the process, Hudson says, “I found myself here.” 

Transferring from a small school to Kent, one important thing that Hudson cherishes is that he can have access to people from all over the world. “You go to your English class, and will have so many different perspectives.” Hudson’s favorite thing about Kent’s academic program is that it provides so many classes and opportunities for students to challenge themselves and “to help you find who you are.” Besides academics, Kent has many special things that Hudson values as well: beautiful mountains, the river, nature away from the city, and most significantly, relationships between people. As every person comes on a tour, “If you stop and talk to any of us, you will find each of us embodies trust and kindness, and you will realize how helpful and nice we are,” Hudson claims proudly.

Being part of the Senior Council and one of the Senior Prefects, Hudson plays a role in connecting students with the administration. When he knew that he was selected to be one of the senior council members, “it was just pure excitement, for not only my position, but also having a voice on campus, and being able to help the school and my fellow classmates.” Hudson believes that the trust and communication between the senior council members will enable them to create something amazing this year.

Right now,  Hudson says that his goal, both personally and as a senior prefect, is not to change school laws but more to create the culture in the school in which students love Kent. He suggests sometimes people should just stop and appreciate nature around here. “I wake up, and I feel so lucky to be in a place like this.”

Asked to sum up his years at Kent, Hudson described his experience with four words: courage, taking chances, and home. “The boarding school environment really pushes you into a more real life-independent experience,” he said. “Everyone here must be courageous to take this undertaking, especially these 14-year-old freshmen.” Secondly, due to the various resources Kent has, such as multiple classes, Hudson points out that each student should look around outside their normal schedule, and take chances to try and find their new passions. Last but not least, for Hudson, he has friends and Kent families – his advisory group – here. “Kent is my home away from home.” 

Finally, for anxious students, Hudson offers his advice, saying that, since faculty donate so much of their time and lives to the students, they must love Kent and definitely want us to succeed. He suggested spending more time on the class that we are not confident in, asking questions, and using conference time to find the teacher for help. “Teachers would love to sit down and talk to you about classes,” he says. 

In terms of the peer pressure and competition that can build up, Hudson advises, “everyone has their own path. Find your system. Sometimes we may feel everything piling up on us, so just take a second for yourself per day to calm down.”