Kent Welcomes New Faculty!

Mr. Carlos Bezerra is a new faculty member in the Mathematics Department. Attending the Universidade Federal Fluminense, he received his BS in Chemical Engineering. Mr. Bezerra also achieved his MBA in Engineering Management at the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro. After college, Mr. Bezerra was an engineering teacher at Leesville Road High School, a math teacher at Monticello High School, and a math and engineering teacher at Lake Dallas High School. From there, he became the production manager at NORAMPAC, and a plant and quality manager at Klabin. He is greatly interested in sustainability, green energy, and community involvement. Mr. Bezerra lives off campus with his wife and his two children. On top of teaching at Kent, Mr. Bezerra is also the boys JV soccer assistant coach and the coordinator for the robotics solar car challenge. Mr. Bezerra says his song of the summer is “Do Jeito Que A Vida Quer” by Grupo Revelação because the rhythm of the song is a samba beat that is easy to dance to.

Matthew Close is a new faculty member in the Kent’s Modern Languages Department. While studying at the University of Michigan, he received a BA in French and Francophone Studies, followed up with an MA from Middlebury College for French Civilization, Culture, and Society. Upon entering the workforce at the Latin School of Chicago as a French Teacher and World Language Department Chair, Mr. Close was excited to start his teaching career. Following his time there, he was a French Teacher, crew coach, and dormitory advisor at Choate Rosemary Hall before finally arriving at Kent. Outside the classroom, Mr. Close enjoys road and mountain biking, cycle touring, camping, bread-baking, ultimate frisbee, and hiking. He resides in Hoerle Hall, and, in addition to teaching, also runs ultimate frisbee and coaches boys JV squash and boys JV tennis. Mr. Close says his summer song of the summer is a parody of “Sweet but Psycho,” inserting his son’s name when he wouldn’t sleep. 

Ms. Emily Dosch has been a Spanish teacher at Kent since last spring. Coming from North Dakota, she said that her song of the summer is “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo because the song mentions her team, the Minnesota Vikings. Aside from teaching, she is also a second-floor dorm parent in North Dorm, a Junior Varsity Volleyball coach, and the Assistant Director for the musical. Ms. Dosch loves to travel, canoe, kayak, and read. She has a wide range of work experience, including being a Residential Advisor at Wolfeboro Summer Boarding School, a director of the College of Saint Benedict Center for Global Education Chile Exchange Program, and a Peer Advising Assistant at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University in Collegeville, Minnesota. 

Ms. Elena Gualtieri is a new faculty member in the Dean’s office. After graduating from Kent School, Ms. Gualtieri attended Connecticut College and received a BA in Psychology with a Minor in Art. Ms. Gualtieri was a Utica Comets intern, a USA hockey development camp leader, as well as an Atlantic District hockey camp counselor. Ms. Gualtieri’s other interests include sports, photography, music, and the Special Olympics. Ms. Gualtieri lives in the Case Dorm basement with her dwarf hamster. After school, Ms. Gualtieri is the girls varsity soccer assistant coach, girls JV hockey assistant coach, and girls varsity lacrosse timer.  Ms. Gualtieri’s song of the summer is the Soundcloud mix “Heartfeldt Radio #64” by Sam Feldt, which provides her with the motivation to workout post her college hockey career. 

Mr. John Kennedy is a chaplain and Middle Dorm South dorm parent who just graduated from Yale Divinity School. Before arriving at Kent, he was a Theologian at the Episcopal Church at Yale, Seminarian at the Society of St. John the Evangelist, Seminarian at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, and worked in Clinical Pastoral Education at Anderson Cancer Center. It is his first time teaching and living at a boarding school. Other than his primary position in the chapel, he is also passionate about music. He graduated from Berklee College of Music and has a bachelor’s degree in contemporary writing. Mr. Kennedy works with the theater tech group in the  Fall and Spring. During the Winter, he coaches boys thirds basketball. His song of the summer is “In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning” by Frank Sinatra. As he explains, “I had a trip in the summer with my dad. One of our stops was in Palm Springs, California, where Frank Sinatra lived. I was listening to his music. I really love the landscape and buildings, and that song stuck with me.”

Ms. Kayla Padroff, staff member in the Admissions Office, is starting her first year at Kent by putting smiles on the faces of those around her. Padroff has an extensive work background from obtaining her Bachelor of Science in Sports Management from Springfield College, acting as Cheshire Academy Coordinator of Student Activities and Marketing Assistant, and working at the American Hockey League as a sales and marketing Intern. Utilizing her interests in sports management, volleyball, and softball, she will be serving as the Varsity Volleyball Head Coach, and fitness and Varsity Softball assistants. Ms. Padroff currently resides in an off campus rental apartment. According to her, “My favorite song of the summer would be ‘New Light’ by John Mayer because it is a great beach song and I love the beat.” 

Mr. Dempsey Quinn is a new faculty member of the Kent’s Mathematics Department and Academic Resource Center. Mr. Quinn graduated from Cornell University, majoring in Industrial and Labor Relations, and following his time at Cornell, he graduated from Concordia University with an MS in Coaching and Athletic Administration. After college, Mr. Quinn worked at Berkshire School for four years,as the Varsity Head Football Coach and Boys Varsity Head Basketball Coach and then went on to Brown University for three and a half years years before coming to Kent. Mr. Quinn’s favorite hobby is spending time with his son, Reidy, and his wife, Julia, but he also enjoys football, hiking, playing with his two dogs, Scout and Mowgli, and music, everything from country to rap and hip hop. He lives in Borsdorff Hall, Third Floor East, and is a varsity football assistant coach, fitness assistant, and the JV baseball head coach. His song of the summer was “Higher Love” by Whitney Houston and Kygo, which was one of the first songs his son heard when he was born this past summer. 

Mrs. Judith Rokous is a new faculty member of the Science Department. Mrs. Rokous received her BA in Biological Basis of Behavior from the University of Pennsylvania and her MS in Toxicology from the University of Maryland Medical School. Before coming to Kent, Mrs. Rokous was the coordinator of Lifeflight of Maine: Critical Care Transport Special Events, and a teacher and Chair of Science Department at The Governor’s Academy.  She was also a St. Paul’s School teacher of physical science and earth science. Additionally, she has worked at the University of Maryland Medical School as a molecular and cell biology lab assistant. Outside of school, Mrs. Rokous likes to hike, kayak, mountain bike, ski and cook. Mrs. Rokous is the intramural squash assistant coach, girls varsity squash assistant coach, and girls varsity tennis assistant coach. She lives with her husband, English teacher Christopher Rokous, and their three sons. Mrs. Rokous says her song of the summer was “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd as it carries a lot of meaning for all her summers. 

Ms. Isabel Rooney, educator in the Academic Resource Center, is providing assistance to students looking to improve their writing and study skills. After attending The Hotchkiss School, she completed her Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and Psychology at Georgetown University, and went on to earn a Master’s in the Art of Teaching from Bard College. Bringing to Kent her extensive work experience as a Region 1 Substitute Teacher, a Crescendo Inc. Marketing and Communications Assistant, and a private tutor, Rooney is a wonderful addition to the Academic Resource Center. When asked about her favorite song she listened to this summer, she says, “’This Must Be The Place,” also called ‘Naive Melody.’ The lyrics and music were written by David Byrne and originally, he performed it with the rest of his bandmates in the band The Talking Heads. I love the energy I feel and tap into when I listen to this song, and I feel the lyrics express a lot of wisdom. And it just gets better and better every time I listen.” 

Mr. Nikhil Seth is a new member of the Admissions Office. He attended Princeton University, where he earned an A.B. in Economics, after which, he earned his M.Ed. in Educational Leadership from St. Lawrence University. He most recently worked at Canterbury School as an economics teacher and as the head coach of boys varsity squash. Prior to working at Canterbury, Mr. Seth worked at St. Lawrence University as the assistant squash coach to their nationally ranked program. Outside of his busy work schedule, he enjoys cooking, playing tennis, bicycling. He is excited to coach boys varsity squash in addition to serving as Kent’s Director of Squash. Mr. Seth will also serve as the assistant coach of the boys varsity tennis team this spring. This summer he enjoyed listening to songs by Empire of The Sun because of the upbeat nature of their music.