Spring Chamber Concert

Kathryn Li, Editor

On the evening of Friday, April 19th, Kent student musicians performed in the annual Spring Chamber Recital. Students, faculty, and members of the wider Kent community, including the Morningstar residents, came to enjoy this night of music held in the Kent Pre-Engineering Center in town.

The last of the chamber recital series to be held this school year, the talented musicians did not disappoint. Eleven students, making up two ensembles and five solo performances, played a variety of pieces, ranging from classical to blues.

The group, made up of both under and upper-formers, included several newcomers to Kent, whom Mrs. Hobbs, the director of the music department, describes as, “wonderful new additions to Kent’s musical community.”

Several standout performances from Gabby Todd ’22, Oscar Wang ’22, and Dashiell Chang ’20, were favorites among the Morningstar residents, with their performances of Beethoven, Mendelssohn, and Chopin, respectively.

For Todd, a freshman this year, this recital was her first time performing solo since arriving at Kent. After the recital she comments, “I felt really nervous because it was my first time playing solo at Kent, but I think my practice gave me more confidence.” She adds that she was happy to have a chance to perform and is “looking forward to doing more performances in the future.”

Mrs. Hobbs expresses a special thanks to Ms. Muller, one of the piano teachers and the faculty accompanist on piano, saying, “she’s phenomenal, we’re so grateful to have her. Many of the pieces are in her repertoire, and having her here to accompany the students is invaluable.”

“I thought all the students that played displayed grace and growth,” she remarks after the recital, and that “It was a great way to end the year with our recital program.”

We look forward to more wonderful music from the Kent student musicians in the years to come.