Varsity Baseball Competes Against Taft School

Oscar Wang, Campus Reporter

On April 17th, Kent varsity baseball took on Taft School. In the previous matchup, Kent baseball won the game. Unfortunately, Kent School was unable to carry the momentum necessary to this game, as they were defeated by Taft School 2-7.

After trailing behind Taft School with a 0-4, “Jason Kleinhans, drew a big walk in the third. He stole second base, CJ Brito-Trinidad hit a ground ball to second base that got him over to third. Then Robby Johnson came up clutch with a big SAC Fly, to put the Lions on the board,” Coach Bennett recalls, “in the fifth, Alex Giummo came up with a big single to lead off the inning. He stole second and advanced to third on a past ball. CJ Brito-Trinidad came up clutch again hitting a long SAC Fly to score. It was as a great job by our offense manufacturing runs.”

Coach Bennett attributes the lack of offensive plays as the main reason for the tough loss. He says, “Taft’s defense made plays in the field and their pitchers filled up the strike zone. Their pitcher threw really well holding us to two runs on three hits with two walks. On the other hand, Taft just manufactured more, by scoring seven.”

For the rest of the season, the goal for the team is “improving on team defense and offense as a group.” The boys are aiming to “string hits together to create an offense that teams are afraid of” and “become more shut down as defenders.” Members of the team hope to improve their confidence and conclude the season on a positive note.