Kent News

Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Hunter Southworth '98

Hunter Southworth '98

Hunter Southworth '98

Beatrice Voorhees

Bouncing back from a loss at Lawrenceville last week, the dynamic community of the KSBC team is ready for action. After their stunning victories this weekend and last over St. John’s and Andover respectively, they have demonstrated a positive path for the season.

The first boat race against St. John’s began with difficulty for the boys. “The first boat had a rough race,” says Ray Cutting ’19. “For the first 650 meters out of 1,500, we were down. Our start was terrible. It was poor.”

However, the team banded together to rise against this challenge. They were, sadly, without their dynamic teammate Nicholas Fisher ’19, but this loss inspired strength. “We pulled a power ten for Nick Fisher who was ill that day. He was very sad he couldn’t be with us at the race, and so we put some power in for him,” says Cutting.

In the words of Tristan Jamidar ’19, another first boat rower, “I think this race against St John’s was a really good building point for our team. They showed up and gave us a really good fight for the first five hundred, and then we were kind of rewarded for staying tough throughout the race and not giving up an inch.”

However, it wasn’t only the first boat that excelled. Jonas Schemm ’20, second boat rower, describes the immense victory simply: “the boys did have a clean sweep,” meaning all the boats won their races. In addition to the all-around victory over St John’s, the boys just recently swept more wins against Andover this weekend.

As a part of the KSBS, the boys form a tight-knit community. Schemm reflects that he feels as though “KSBC has been a pretty important component of my identity here at Kent. It’s really been a real brotherhood to me.”

For Jamidar, who came here as a postgraduate student, says that “the whole team is a lot closer than other teams I’ve been on.” He says that the spring training trip in Clemson “brought everybody closer together. All in all, it’s just kind of like a big family. It’s a great community to be a part of.”

In terms of the future of the team, Cutting remarks, “This year is the first year we’ve had a fifth boat,” which shows the strength and depth of the team–there are more rowers than ever before.

Schemm says “Although we have a lot of seniors graduating from [the] first boat, we have a lot of strong novices that will continue to impress in the upcoming years.” Cutting agrees, saying that this year is “pretty strong” and that “the next couple years are going to be as good, if not better.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Boys Crew vs. St. John’s”

1. Douglas Henry, 66 on May 8th, 2019 2:13 pm

Post-race comments by Kent oarsmen (not rowers) are fine, but how about some data like margin of victory, times, and relative positions of the crews during the race? Imagine reading an article on a baseball game without the benefit of a box score.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Features

FIRST Robotics Team Competes in the Spring

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Arts

Kent School Scholastic Art Awards Winners

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Showcase

Girls Varsity Lacrosse Brings Home Win Over Westover

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Arts

Art Survey Work on Display

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Showcase

Student Diversity Leadership Conference 2019

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Features

Kent School Revisit Days

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Showcase

Boys Varsity Hockey Caps the Season with NEPSAC Win

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Showcase

Girls Varsity Hockey Brings Home the Win at NEPSAC Championship

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Features

Love Kent

• Boys Crew vs. St. John’s

Features

Kent MUN Takes on Columbia University

The student news site of Kent School
Boys Crew vs. St. John’s