A Thrilling Dance to Behold

Courtesy of Aay-Janae Taylor '21

Dancers dressed up in costume

Natalie Sun

For over five years, the South Kent School had been participating in Thriller, a Halloween dance. Ms. Howard, one of the staff from their admissions office, is in charge of the event. This year, Aay-Janae Taylor ’21, with the help of her advisor, got into touch with Ms. Howard and brought Kent students to participate in the dance.

Taylor was put into contact with a dance teacher from South Kent and recruited around five other students interested in dancing. To prepare for the final dance, the students scheduled practices on Sundays, sacrificing their free time to rehearse in the afternoon. Their work paid off; during the dance, all were synchronized in perfect coordination. The audience enjoyed the show and were thoroughly impressed with their efforts.

The Kent School dancers joined with students from South Kent in town on Halloween. Since town permission for Kent students was extended during Halloween from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m, much of the large crowd that attended included Kent students and faculty. Having dressed up, the dancers were a sight to behold. Their faces were painted and all were wearing matching clothes.

It was Kent’s first year doing Thriller, and Taylor thought that it “was a great experience” to “work with South Kent” and rehearse the dance. It was an amazing opportunity to broaden her horizons outside of the dancing program in Kent and Taylor “hopes to do it again next year.”