Club Feature: SPECTRUM

Maureen Chan

SPECTRUM Co-Presidents Jeffrey Liu ’19, Gia Orsino ’19, Baljaa Borgil ’20 and Zoe Benjamin ’20

Maureen Chan

One of the many clubs Kent offers is Spectrum: a club that hosts gatherings for the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning) and straight community to unite and discuss this global social movement. This club provides a safe space for people questioning their sexuality and opens up the conversation to those hoping to learn more.

With its leaders Jeffrey Liu ’19, Gia Orsino ’19, Baljaa Borgil ’20, and Zoe Benjamin ’20, Spectrum is right on track to accomplish its goals for the 2018-2019 school year. As Orsino states, the leaders hope to continue “educating, have more speakers and more events, and to be very inclusive to allies as well” this year.

Hosting weekly Sunday night meetings, Spectrum remains one of Kent’s most active clubs. Meetings start off with members sharing their “highs and lows” of the week, with the agenda then moving on to “plans, world or campus issues,” according to Benjamin.

Last year, Spectrum partnered with the Senior Council and successfully changed the dress code to one that is more gender neutral. The new two-layer dress code was implemented to help those struggling with their sexuality feel more comfortable. Another triumph was the creation of a safe space; last year it was Cookies with Cacho, and this year it is known as Discuss with Gousse. Spectrum also hosted the “Day of Silence,” where students took a vow of silence for 24 hours. This student-led national event was established to spread awareness about the effects of bullying and harassment on those who do not have the freedom to express their beliefs and ideas, specifically in the LGBTQ community.

As for future plans, Spectrum is working on hosting Pride Week, a week full of different guest speakers, engaging activities, and exciting dances, all the while educating the school about LGBTQ issues and movements.

As a club that advocates for the LGBTQ student body and encourages awareness among all students, Spectrum remains a highlight of the Kent community.