Musician Profile: Mathelide Hou ’18

Kathryn Li, Campus News Reporter

Mathelide Hou 19’ has recently shared a stunning Chapel musical offering, playing a piece on the traditional Chinese instrument, the guzheng, also known as the Chinese zither.

Hou is a very versatile musician, who not only plays the zither, but also is self-taught on the piano. However, she describes her relationship with these instruments as different: although her parents wanted her to learn the piano, Hou chose to learn the zither after she watched a performance and became instantly captivated. She has been playing since she was in second grade, working her way up the ten levels of mastery, and eventually completed the tenth and last level of master in eighth grade.

Since then, she has been self-learning the zither at a professional level, dedicating many hours to her music and recently winning the Shanghai National Zither Performance Competition. Her practices often range from one to four hours each day, and she works through especially grueling training in the week leading up to a performance. Those who play the zither must use their fingertips to play with force, and injuries are not uncommon.

When asked about what makes the zither unique, and why it is her instrument of choice, Hou explains that there is a unique nature to playing the zither, which originates with its deep roots within ancient Chinese history. Many of the pieces she plays are two-to-three-thousand years old, and tell stories of ancient people, often describing their lives and emotions. “I try to immerse myself in the pieces I play,” Hou says. “Often, it is about creating an atmosphere that can bring you back into history.” These pieces range from short pieces of two-to-five minutes, to long expressive songs that build intensity gradually, and can be up to fifteen minutes in length.

However, Hou also plays more modern pieces by contemporary composers, and even has a special link to the style played in Henan Province. Her own zither was made by the Cao family, who have historically pioneered a style of zither music: 就叫河南筝派, characterized by strong and sharp wrist movements.

No matter what style of music she plays, Hou’s talent and dedication is clear. “It’s a passion and a method of expression,” she says. “I’ll continue to play this instrument throughout college and beyond; I think it’s lifelong.”