Girls Tennis Tops Porter’s

Kathryn Li, Campus News Reporter

On Saturday April 14th, Kent School girls varsity tennis faced off against Miss Porter’s in a series of doubles and singles matches, as well as an exhibition match by Nebeeka Saha 20’, each played to eight. Our girls won decisively over Miss Porter’s in all their doubles and singles matches, and Coach Ober was pleased to say, “This is a really talented young team; great attitude and great worth ethic. They’ve shown a lot of fight so far, and don’t seem to be intimidated by anyone, which is a great sign.”

The doubles matches started off strongly for all three pairs of girls playing, each taking a 0-3 point lead from the very start. They played intelligent tennis, controlling their strengths perfectly. Co-captain Meara Burns ‘19 had a particularly strong run with her partner Lexy Pryor 21’, attacking and playing well, and working to keep volleys up front in the court. The doubles matches ended with 8-6, 8-3, and 8-3 wins for Kent.

In singles, each girl showcased her strength and strategy, both on the outdoor and indoor courts. Their winning scores crushed Miss Porter’s: 8-5, 8-3, 8-2, 8-1, and 8-1. Pryor, a new third-former, was particularly inspiring, with a 0-3 lead right from the start of her match. Her serves were strong, and she hammered her opponent’s backhand side, while staying aggressive at the net.

Co-captain Burns ended the day saying, “Everyone fought hard, was pumped, and came out playing great,” she, as well as all of us Kent School Lions, “hope that we can continue to win and play our best.”