Student Artists Win Gold and Silver Scholastic Awards

Rachel Sturm, Campus News Reporter

Every year, the Scholastic Art Awards recognizes students with distinguished artistic talent. But because only a limited number of pieces can be submitted, Ms. Lynch, head of the Art Department, says that getting chosen by Mr. Scofield, Ms. Brody, or Ms. Lynch herself “is already the first honor because we choose from a big group of people.”

Ms. Lynch views the competition as a very dynamic one which “changed dramatically over the past few decades” and sees a lot of “potential for growth” in it. The only problem with the competition, however, is that “some categories are overlooked. Basically there’s too much work being submitted to the competition that the judges don’t have the manpower to take the time necessarily to appreciate the subtlety and intricacy of some pieces.” Sometimes, the work just doesn’t get noticed because the pieces won’t be seen in person until the show.

This year, Savannah Adamo ’19, Erin Cho ’18, Michael Eustace ’18, Kittithat Kaewsawang ’19, Eleanor Rose ’18, and Sally Yu ’20 earned gold medals and Cassidy Bromka ’18 and Patrick Goggin ’18 earned silver medals at the state level. From there, the winning pieces will be displayed at the exhibition at Hartford Art School and then judged at the national level.

The awarded artwork came from different student projects and art classes. Adamo created her piece last spring, and Yu made hers independently over the summer. Ms. Lynch explains that good art pieces are created throughout the year and can be stored and nominated for next year, if any readers are considering contributing next year.