December tournaments feature impressive wins for some Kent teams

Nicholas Fisher, Campus News Reporter

Over the winter break, while most of us were enjoying some nice and well-deserved time off, the Kent varsity hockey and basketball teams competed in some very competitive, early season tournaments.

One of the most exciting tournaments of the holiday break was the Avon Old Farms Classic for the Kent boys ice hockey team. During the first round, the boys were able to best Tabor with a 4-3 shoot-out win. “It was a back and forth affair that saw three lead changes,” states Coach Reinhardt. During the remaining rounds leading up to the final, Kent continued to dominate, swiftly defeating Avon 3-2 and St. Pauls 2-1.

In the final round against our local rival, the Gunnery School, the team fought hard but felt a little short on the ice, loosing in double over time. “Alex Contey ’19 was absolutely outstanding all weekend,” Coach Reinhardt points out. “Contey was able to save 34 of the 36 shots during the finals. It was a hard luck loss.”

The most successful tournament of the break undeniably went to the Kent girls ice hockey team, which won the Taft tournament. The girls were able to dispatch Hotchkiss, Tabor, and Choate with ease in the first few rounds and swept Taft 6-0 in the finals. They hope to defend their undefeated title in the coming weeks.

The Kent boys varsity basketball team fought a few good battles against the Storm King School, Pomfret, and Berkshire at the Kingswood invitational. The team was able to grow throughout the tournament, which helped them better prepare for games against Loomis and Taft in the coming week.

The girls also had a tough weekend, facing very experienced teams from Kingswood Oxford, Sacred Heart, and the Governor’s Academy. They will use this experience in their favor when facing Ethel Walker School and Rye Country Day School in the coming weeks.