Got Gratitude?

Amy Fang, Campus News Reporter

This winter is incredibly cold with strong winds and snow. The Kent community, however, is warmed up by the colorful cards, hung in the chapel, in which students and faculty express their gratitude toward someone or something in their lives.

Stacked on the head table during lunch, these cards are available to anyone who walks by. They can pick one card and write down their words of gratitude. Later, their cards are displayed in Chapel to show the power of thanks.

As Dean Kelderman pointed out in her Chapel talk, expressing gratitude to others is the easiest way for a person to gain happiness. We should be grateful for each and every person living around us, since the chance for us to meet is pretty small in this huge world, and we are fortunate enough to have met each other. By saying thank you to others, we simultaneously become more satisfied with ourselves. When looking for something grateful in our lives, we simply discover the happiness and love we experience, ultimately eliminating the negative views in our minds.

Moreover, Dean Kelderman mentioned that saying thank you to others also helps others to realize their value in this community. Just as Mrs. Prickett said, “we all need support and love from each other to live through the winter time, when there exists coldness, darkness and silence.”

Writing cards of gratitude spreads the love and warmth crucial for the winter. So why not go to the head table and write down something you’re grateful for? Kent community needs your share of warmth.