Girls squash beats Westover on new home courts

Lily Armstrong, Campus News Reporter

Squash season is finally here! The entire community is especially excited for this years season due to the highly anticipated, brand new squash extension located beside the tennis courts. After many months of designing and building, Kent welcomed eight international courts in early November for all players to enjoy.

The courts were officially open to the school after a wonderful ceremony hosted by Kent family, friends, faculty, and student athletes, along with past participants of the Kent squash program. The ceremony took place in the new building, with food, drinks, and many speeches full of warm gratitude and special recognitions. Each court has a plaque, named in honor of former coaches, players, and donators; remembering Kent’s history in the face of new growth in development.

Ms. Anderson described the ceremony and her excitement for the beginning of the season: “It is so awesome to see so much Kent history displayed. It is also great to see everyone rallying around us and celebrating the program, everyday I’m so excited and grateful to play in such a beautiful space. This is a new era of Kent squash, and I am so excited to be apart of it.”

The excitement continued, weeks after a successful opening ceremony, when the girls defeated Taft’s JV team 4-3 in their first match last weekend. Girls varsity captain, Jojo Story ‘18, who was thrilled about the new courts and their first win, said, “The team is playing really well, now when we have away matches, the unfamiliarity of the courts shape and size is no longer an issue. Our opponents take us more seriously.”  With confidence and determination filling the courts, the girls team is full of energy and excited to move forward into the season.

Coach Anderson described a tradition the girls are continuing through the season: “Each girl puts a piece of paper with their seasons quote in their uniforms, tucked close to their hearts.” The piece of paper reads, “It is hard to beat a person who never gives up,” a quote by Nouran Gohar.

This past weekend, the winning streak continued as the team took on Westover on the new home courts and defeated them 5-2 overall with Story, Mimi Fairbanks ‘18, Grace Sanford ‘18, Jana Safy ‘21, and Sloane Grover-Dodge ‘20 all winning their matches. After the Westover match, Jojo added, “We are so ready to take on Canterbury on Wednesday.”

Out with the old and in with the new, things are looking up this year for the Kent girls varsity squash team.