Field hockey bests Hotchkiss

Lia Fadiman, Campus News Reporter

Tensions were high and the south fields filled, yet again, with excited parents and school pride. Hotchkiss had come to play Kent field hockey, and our girls were ready for them.

Mrs. Duncan, head coach, spoke to the anticipation of this match: “Last year they lost the last game of the season 2-0 to Hotchkiss, and ever since then the girls have been really working to avenge that loss.”

In the first half, the Kent girls focused heavily on defense. Their passing and communication had improved from prior games. The girls didn’t let any shots through, keeping the score at 0-0 for the entirety of the first half.

Going into the second half, there was a sense of anticipation in the air. Kent scored 4:47 seconds into the second half, making a score 1-0 with Kent in the lead. The game continued, with the girls scoring with 8:07 minutes left of the second half, furthering their lead in the game to 2-0, which was the final score. Tina Paolillo, 6th form, is one of the team captains and is credited for both goals. Laney Szlezyngier, Mel Anderson, and Jenna Paszek were also honorable mentions for the game.

Duncan said afterwards, “I’m very happy for the girls. They very happy about how they played. You can tell they’re proud. It was a solid win.”

The girls are excited about this win, and are preparing for an away game with Ethel Walker this weekend.