Look what we did! Third Formers spend a day in service

Kyle Menes, Campus News Reporter

One Wednesday each October, the sixth formers were busy writing their college essays, and the fourth and fifth formers were taking PSATs. So four years ago Mrs. Sokolnicki organized the Third Form Day of Service. “It’s a really great way to get new students involved in their community,” she says. Instead of going to classes, third-formers are split into different groups and assigned different places to contribute to the Kent community.

One of the groups helped prepare the local garden at the Happy Acres Farm for the winter. The farmers showed them how to pick carrots and radishes, and they helped spread wood chips on the grass to protect it from frost. The farmers even let the students taste some of the freshly picked carrots and showed them how they sell the vegetables to local consumers and chefs. It was a great opportunity for students to see how food on makes it to their tables.

Another group worked with Mr. Klingebiel helping plant new trees all over campus, while another worked with Mr. Benjamin to rid the hockey rink of bittersweet vines, an invasive species. Other jobs included helping host a Bingo party at the Morningstar Residential home for senior citizens, clearing the school’s mountain biking trail, or readying a barn for fire training with the local volunteer fire department.

Overall, the third formers helped at 21 different places and provided a grand total of over 312 service hours in a single day. Well done, class of 2021!