Boys soccer faces tough South Kent and Hopkins squads

Kyle Menes, Campus News Reporter

On Wednesday, October 4th, the Kent boys varsity soccer team played a home game against South Kent. The game was full of physical contact with loud fans cheering from both sides.

South Kent, however, proved to be a lot to handle for the Kent boys. During the first half, South Kent scored the majority of their goals. Their offense had headers and diving kicks, and their defense played fantastically.

During the second half, Kent managed to score a goal and tightened their defense, but it was unfortunately too late. They failed to capitalize on what chances they had and ended up losing the game 1-5. Coach Tim Booth said after the game that “The players need to start sacrificing as a team and start to share the ball more.”

On Saturday, October 21st, they played their eleventh game of the season against Hopkins School. In the first half, the Kent boys came ready to play. They did not have many shots in the beginning, but they were still on Hopkins’ side applying pressure, and it remained like that until the second half.

During the second half there were still many shots for Kent, but the defense seemed unable to not prevent Hopkins from taking their own shots. Kent’s goalie was able to keep the score under control; and in the end, the game was tied, 1-1.

With only six games left in the season and a record of 3-6-2, they boys hope to bring even more energy and finish strong. Coach Booth attributed the current record to “Injuries and very good opponents. We have younger players who played well, but they were against more mature athletes.” Hopefully in coming games the boys will be operating at full strength.