Girls Lacrosse Eeks Out Win Over Suffield

Allison Dickerman, Campus News Reporter

On Wednesday April 19th Kent’s varsity girls lacrosse team made their way to Suffield for a game against the Tigers. This was a match that Kent was confident going into, though the girls are always sure to give their best effort on the field no matter who their opponent is.

Starting goalie Carly Denora ‘18 was missing, so Alex Neistat ‘18 stepped up to the challenge. Suffield began the game by scoring on Kent, until the Lions stepped up and took an early 4-1 lead. The first goal was scored by the team’s captain, Juju Tardif ‘17, followed by goals by Tina Paolillo ‘17 and Lizzy Gross ‘17.

The lead didn’t last, however, as Suffield took advantage of what Coach Duncan called a “faltering in Kent’s defense and communication,” scoring 3 quick goals to to bring it to 5-all at the half. Though the Kent girls were now tied, they picked themselves up and forgot about the rocky first half when entering the next half of the game.

The following half was filled with back and forth scoring by both Kent and Suffield. At the 11:08 mark Kent had the lead 9-8 thanks to a final goal from Jesse DeVito ‘18. But, in the last two minutes, Suffield scored while Kent was down a man due to a yellow card. Said Duncan, “for the last 2 minutes, Kent gained possession and worked tirelessly to keep the ball on their offensive end as the clock ran out. It was a true team effort and winning made the LONG bus ride home sweeter.”