Girls Squash Squashes Suffield

Natasha Chiu, Campus News Reporter

On the 8th of February, girls varsity squash faced off against Suffield. Going into the game, they were more confident than ever, as they had a full lineup with all the strongest players in their optimum conditions. Coach Jeon noted that, “Suffield is a beatable team; they are of a similar caliber. It should be a competitive match, but having the home court advantage should give us the upper hand.”

Kent’s captain and #1 ranked Jojo Story ’18 started off her match determined to take the win. Despite losing her first 2 sets with a score of 7-11 and 13-15, she adapted to the pace of the game quickly, winning the next 3 sets with ease. Story’s winning streak was carried on by Morgan Baravalle ’17, Mimi Fairbanks ‘18, Victoria Geh ‘18, Caitlin Martin ‘19 and Lillian Wang ’17, who all won their matches within 4 sets. The only Kent loss was for #2 ranked player Linnea Koskinen’s ’18 match against an overwhelmingly strong Suffield player. The final score was 6-1,with Kent taking the win.

Geh, ranked fifth, commented on the game, expressing that “since my competition was at the same skill level, I felt more focused and levelheaded going into the game. Of course, time and practice has payed off and allowed my skills to improve quite dramatically as well.”

This win against Suffield has also helped to push the team up the ranks, as they are now are eligible to play in the New England’s division B instead of division C.