Athlete Profile: Keely Moy ’17

Sally Jee, Editor-in-Chief

Keely Moy ’17 is a stellar athlete who represents Kent School in numerous games and regattas. In the fall, she manages girls varsity field hockey while playing ice hockey in a club team outside of school. She is a star player of the girls varsity ice hockey team in the winter, and in the spring, she is a valuable member of girls varsity crew.

Moy has been playing competitive sports all her life. Though she joined the crew team during her sophomore year at Kent, she started playing ice hockey when she was only 3 years old. According to Moy, what years of athletic experience taught her is that playing sports is “not just physical but also mental.” In order to get through the seemingly endless training and competition, mental fortitude, as well as physical strength, is crucial. “You have keep telling yourself to keep going,” said Moy.

What Moy loves most about ice hockey is that it is a sport of body and mind. “You have to be hockey smart,” she said. “You have to think on your feet and make quick decisions,” she added. Moy has high prospects for the girls varsity ice hockey team next year. “There are 5 graduating seniors, but the talent we have is still really good,” said Moy. She expects the current juniors to become good leaders and sees “a great deal of raw talent” in the younger players.

Moy, now training day in and day out in girls varsity crew, commented on the supportive atmosphere of the team. “Everyone supports me and helps me think I can do it,” said Moy. She feels that without her teammates, it would have been much harder for her to withstand the hardships of the sport. The team has had a good season so far, and Moy feels that the girls have a good shot at winning the upcoming NEIRA. “If we dedicate ourselves, it’s definitely within our reach,” she said.

“Keely is a difference maker,” said Coach Smith, when asked to describe Moy’s role in girls varsity crew. “She has a big personality, a great deal of athletic ability, and most of all, a big heart,” he added.