Teacher Profile: Sr. Sanchez

Christina Khalil

Spanish teacher Señor Juan Sanchez was born in Medellin, Colombia and educated in private Jesuit schools throughout his childhood. He spent years in the business world but then decided to change career paths and become a teacher. He searched for a school with similar values and characteristics to the Jesuit schools he had grown accustomed to, ultimately ended up at Kent.

Señor Sanchez has been teaching at Kent for 11 years. He works in the Foreign Language Department, teaching AP Spanish, Spanish 3, Honors Spanish 3, Spanish 2, Honors Spanish 2, and starting next year, Spanish Literature.

“I am very grateful to be teaching at Kent School,” says Sanchez. “My favorite part of teaching is engaging with the students.”

Sanchez enjoys sharing his knowledge and compassion of the Spanish language and culture along with his experience in the business world with his students. “I love to watch as my students learn and mature into young adults,” he says. “It is very rewarding to see them become proficient with good moral values.”

Formerly, he was the assistant JV soccer coach for 8 years. He currently works with Club Soccer, Intramural Basketball, JV Boys Lacrosse, JV Boys Basketball timing and Senior Sports.

Outside of school, he enjoys traveling to experience different cultures and ways of life then bringing this knowledge back to his students. Also, Sanchez spends a lot of time walking and hiking with Sweetie, his adorable golden doodle.

“Sanchez brings positivity and energy to every A block class,” says Gretchen Christophe ’18, a current AP Spanish student. His students love his enthusiasm and passion for teaching, and he never fails to put a smile on someone’s face.