Boys Hockey Home Opener v. Salisbury

Thomas Mortimer, Campus News Reporter

On Saturday the 10th of December the Kent Boys Varsity Hockey team faced Salisbury in their first home game for the season. Unfortunately, despite a strong effort from the boys, Salisbury came away with a 6-1 victory over Kent.

Going into the match, Coach Reinhardt commented that, “matches against Salisbury are always hard fought and very intense. As a coach, I hope to get them to use that emotion in a productive way.”

In the first period, both teams went out to a flying start and fought to control the game early on. Salisbury scored within the first 3 minutes and then put another two goals past Kent’s defense to finish the 1st period with a 3-0 lead.

Despite this, the boys came out for the 2nd period ready to fight. In a closely contested 15 minutes or so, both teams ended up scoring once, Salisbury in the first 5 minutes and then Kent when Mathieu Lefebvre ‘16 managed to burst through the opposition’s defense and score with 1 minute to go in the 2nd period. At the end of the second period, the score was Salisbury 4, Kent 1.

Kent came onto the ice 5 minutes before the final period and looked aggressive, ready for the final face off. Despite the home crowd and strong determination of the team, Salisbury managed to score twice more, before the final buzzer signaled the end of the game, Kent 1, Salisbury 6.

Following the loss, Captain Will Robertson ‘17 said, “We still trying to figure it out as a team and look forward to the rest of the season.” The boys will now travel to Sweden over the Christmas break and play some teams in the home town of Kent student and hockey player Gustav Lundin.