Teacher Profile: Mr. Hunt

Gabrielle Cator

Mr. Tom Hunt is one of the most honest, caring, and down to earth faculty members at Kent.  With 13 years of teaching under his belt, he has mastered the art of always putting a smile on a student’s face.

Mr. Hunt has always had great love for language, having majored in English in college and writing a touching book of his own.  He has loved reading ever since he was a little boy and he still pursues this passion now, his favorite genre being contemporary American fiction.  He always gives the class suggestions of the latest book or article he’s read and encourages them to read it too.

When asked why he decided to teach high school students, Mr. Hunt said, “you can talk to them and have conversations with them, unlike say elementary school kids, and it’s almost like talking to another adult.” He says that he loves seeing his students age and develop from being “young boys and girls to being into young men and women.”

In class Mr. Hunt has quite the alter ego.  He describes himself as an introvert, but in the classroom he is so energetic and he never fails to make his students laugh everyday.

Surprisingly, Mr. hunt is a trickster.  From hiding munchkins in the ceiling, to putting on scary masks, to replacing munchkins with squash balls, Mr. Hunt knows how to keep his students on their toes.

Mr. Hunt is also a nature man.  He likes to chop wood and garden and pretty much anything to do with being outside and absorbs his surroundings. Also keeping himself fit, Mr. Hunt enjoys playing tennis, coaching boys’ varsity tennis at Kent, and cross-country skiing.

If there’s any teacher who has a reputation for being one of the hardest teachers at Kent, it’s Mr. Hunt.  When asked how he felt about this reputation he said that is was a compliment, because it shows that he is demanding, but also fair.  But he feels that he has pressure on himself to “work as hard as his hardest working student.”

One of his students last year, Eliza Leal said “he taught me that you can’t become a great writer in one day.” Honors English two is challenging course and Mr. Hunt expects his students to always put in a hundred percent into their work. Even if your rough draft is rough, and I mean really rough, he will only create his opinion on the beautiful piece of art it becomes in the end.