Class Profile: Classical Civilization

Ella Agger-Pilon, Campus News Reporter

Classical Civilization is a course in which students are challenged to think beyond their own realities. To some, the course is an alternative to Modern European history. To others, it is a second history class they took on.

Mr. McDonough, who teaches the class, described Classical Civilization as “an opportunity to think about the stories that cultures tell about themselves and how those stories shape our understanding of the world around us, both past and present.” Throughout the year, sources are pulled from different cultures, times, and perspectives. The course is, therefore, filled not only with facts but also with diverse opinions.

When asked to describe his favorite part of the course, Mr. McDonough reflected on its diverse subject matter. “It can be a class in just about anything: history, literature, art, geography, philosophy…there’s always something new to discover, or at least to wonder about,” he said. He added, “I’ve probably learned more from teaching classic civ than from any other class.”

Gia Orsino ‘19, a student in Classical Civilization, said that her favorite aspect of the class is “the descriptive and beautiful stories.” She also found the the in-class discussions “enthusiastic and … motivating.”

All in all, any student interested in learning about the historical ways in which art, science, and philosophy intersect to enlighten and inspire different cultures and people should give Classical Civilization a try.