First in a Series: The Unsung Heros of Kent

Willy Phillips

Robin Mollica of the Mailroom

John Lamb and Willy Phillips, Campus News Reporters

From walking on clean floors to receiving everyday medication, the little things that make life at Kent run smoothly are only possible with the help of certain un-praised heroes. Many students take for granted all of the services the school provides to make us comfortable. The main objective of this article is to highlight the important people in jobs behind the scenes of daily life at Kent who enable everything to work flawlessly. The following is a compilation of brief biographies of those who deserve more recognition than this article can give.

Angel (Janitorial Staff):

Originally from Ecuador, Angel has been working at Kent School for 4 years. He primarily spends his workdays cleaning the floors and bathrooms of both Middle Dorm South and Field Dorm. Angel commutes almost an hour from Danbury each day to arrive at school early in the morning.

Mrs. Wolinski (Laundry):

Now in her 22nd year working at Kent, Mrs. Wolinski is in charge of the distribution and collection of laundry for the entire student body. Her days begin at 7:00 am when she arrives at school to meet the E&R truck to load and unload students’ laundry. She enjoys her job and has “no intention of leaving anytime soon!”

Robin Mollica (Mail Room):

Although relatively new to the mail room, Robin has found her niche, exclaiming excitedly that “This is her best job ever.” She has had the privilege of working with Roger, a mailroom veteran who is currently in his 29th year at Kent School. Arriving at 8:30 am, her day is busy with trips to the post office, as well as continuous drop offs, which require extensive sorting, at least three times a day. Conveniently, Robin lives only minutes away in Bulls Bridge, CT.

Nina Blue (Lion’s Den):

After a 35-minute commute from Bethlehem, CT Nina arrives promptly at 8:00am each day eager to interact with any passing students. Although she has only been here for two years, Nina has formed friendships with many students and enjoys the social atmosphere offered by the Lion’s Den. With an exciting job history that ranges from working at the coffee shop to being a flight attendant, Nina has ended up here at Kent and couldn’t be happier. Nina hopes to help students in any and every way possible, even in things as simple as “teaching them how to address a letter.”

Mrs. Davis (Lion’s Den):

Now in her 24th year at Kent School, Mrs. Davis has a passion for creating a homey environment for students to visit. She enjoys her job because she feels that being around students keeps her young. She is eager to learn anything possible from those who pass through the Lions Den, from the students’ cultural backgrounds to how they might celebrate a holiday. Mrs. Davis also enjoys learning knew fashion trends and uses this knowledge to provide the best apparel for the students.

Ms. Braislin (Medical Center):

As Health Services Coordinator, Ms. Braislin does her best to make the Medical Center a place any student can go and feel comfortable. Ms. Braislin believes that the goals of the Medical Center “aren’t only to take care of sick kids, but to promote health through education.” She explains that the “real teaching moments come when a student shows up not feeling well, as we take this as an opportunity for not only care, but also education.” There are seven nurses in total at the Medical Center, one secretary, and one full time Doctor on call 24 hours a day. While Ms. Braislin’s commute is 25 minutes each day, some of these medical staff travel up to an hour to get to work. The Kent School Medical Center is licensed by the state of Connecticut—a huge feat for a boarding school Medical Center—and the staff is very proud to work under this license.

Mr. Walters (Equipment Director):

During his 43 (!) years at Kent, Mr. Walters has helped out in many different sections of the school. Initially, Mr. Walters was in charge of the field house, and it was his duty to ensure every piece of equipment was operating correctly. Mr. Walters was a baseball coach for 30 years here, and a basketball coach for 20. Now, he handles the equipment for many of our sports teams and is a huge asset to the school. Mr. Walters commutes 18 minutes to school each day,  arriving at 7:30, when most students are still rolling out of bed.  Mr. Walters enjoys his job and believes he “will be here until retirement.”