Boys Squash: From B to A

George Bian, Campus Reporter

Wednesday, December 2nd marked the beginning of another exciting boys squash season.

Last year the team finished No.2 in Nationals and made it to the Class B New England championship. This year, varsity squash Head Coach Mr. Seye and team Captain Pete Watcharawasutara ’16 have even higher expectations for the team, aiming for Class A in New England and Division II in the nationals. “I am really happy with the new additions to the team,” said Pete after their first game. “We maintained our competitiveness compared to last year while other teams are not as good. I am sure we can go really far.” Coach Seye expressed similar ambition in an interview after their first game, in which the varsity team crushed Salisbury with a stunning 8-0 win.

The eight players met hardly any opposition in their first game of the season. In games played best 3 out of 5, six members finished 3-0 and two others finished 3-1. The closest game was with No. 6 seed Nick Prapakamol. After they were tied at 6 all in the first game, Nick lost concentration and lost 5 points in a row as well as the first game. However, he did not give in and fought back ferociously. Gradually starting to gather momentum, Nick took down the second game 11-8. After that, Nick began to dominate his opponent and finished the last two games 11-5 and 11-4. Watcharawasutara was really impressed by Nick’s performance, saying “Nick was playing one of the best of his games and was able to come back after losing the first game.”

Despite the big win, Coach Seye expressed two concerns regarding the team. Firstly, he was worried about possible injuries that would occur in the future although the whole team was in great health at the moment. Secondly, he said that some players on the team might have a hard time adjusting to different courts as the team travels.

However, Seye feels quite confident about the team’s abilities this term, stating that the team “believes that we have to prove to other teams that we are a force to be reckoned with.”