A Glimpse of Kent’s Spring Break Trips

Aaron Liu, Campus News Reporter

For some Kent students, spring break was more than a “mental reset” from school. Some of them spent their time on unique and valuable visits, such as a service trip to New York, team preparation for their new season, and much more.

Mr. Robey, Mr. Benjamin and Mr. Klingebiel led 13 students on a service trip with the Fuller Center for Housing in New Rochelle NY. The group worked on renovating a 200-year-old Quaker Meeting House into a 2 family home. Their work consisted of hanging sheetrock and decorating the home. One of the participants, Jeremy Chen, exclaimed that it was a “pleasant experience with helpful peers, and it was also nice to meet new people as well.” The students all spoke positively about their experiences during a chapel service on April 17. 

The Varsity Girls Lacrosse team spent some of their spring break in Philadelphia to enrich their experience in lacrosse.  The girls attended the UPenn vs Maryland women’s lacrosse game, and played some scrimmages against Friends Central School and Westtown. One of the participants, Grace Buckus, exclaimed that “the trip was super fun and a great way to get ready for the season. We had girls all over the spectrum, from girls who have never played before, to girls who want to play in college,” she said. “So everyone was able to not only learn from our amazing coaches (Mrs. Clarke, Mrs. Sullivan, and Ms. Shade), but from each other.” 

Boys Crew headed down to Clemson, SC for a week and a half to prepare for their competitive new season. The team trained hard, getting out to the water in eights and fours twice everyday. Christina Zhang, one of the captains on the team, said that “the weather was a little cold at first but got better as the trip went on, and it was a very productive and a wonderful learning experience.” The team will be returning again to Clemson next year to prepare for their season again.

In addition, Boys Varsity Lacrosse traveled to Arizona, and Girls Crew Florida. We hope these teams learned a lot from their trips and wish them success for their season!