Kent Dance Performs a Stunning Fall Recital

Richie Kendall, Campus Reporter

On November 15th and 16th, the Kent School dance ensemble hosted the fall dance recital, which included a variety of different songs, dances, and genres. The dance group “practiced very hard six days per week, for two or three hours each session with practices covering both jazz and ballet techniques,” according to Ms. Morris, the director of the show. Crowds of attendees came out to Mattison Auditorium to view one or even both of the productions.

Although the show was directed by Ms. Morris, many of the dances were choreographed by the students themselves. Any of the experienced dancers could “elect to choreograph” a piece if they wished to do so, making the show even more impressive. For this reason, many dancers regarded this show as their favorite of all time. Experienced dancer Zoe Benjamin ‘20 says, “I have been able to use my creativity to its full extent and see the transformation from my mind to the stage on many occasions, and I couldn’t be more grateful for that opportunity.” Benjamin choreographed multiple stunning pieces throughout the show.

In addition to the outstanding skill and creativity shown by the dancers on the stage, a lot of work went on behind the scenes in order to make this production a success. The lighting crew, led by Julia Graham ‘20, rehearsed multiple times per week. In the days leading up to the performance, both dancers and members of the light booth came together for two dress rehearsals, finally putting all of their hard work together.

Overall, the fall dance recital was a huge success that displayed not only a variety of songs and choreography but also the creativity and hard work of the members of KSDE as a whole.