A Strong Start for Boys Varsity Hockey

Richie Kendall, Campus Reporter

The Kent School boys hockey team is off to a hot start. After a grueling week of both on and off the ice tryouts, Coaches Reinhardt, Bennett, and Beck had a tough time distinguishing between the varsity and junior varsity squads. This year’s group of guys is unusually deep and talented.

Led by senior captains Aidan Cobb ‘20, Jonas Passante ‘20, and Jason Kleinhans ‘20, the team immediately started the season with 3 straight wins. First, the boys knocked off Hoosac School with a commanding 5-1 victory. Captains Passante and Kleinhans both led the way with two goals apiece. The team carried the momentum into the following weekend when they traveled up to Exeter in New Hampshire, playing in a showcase tournament. Kent easily defeated Hebron Academy 7-2 in their first game of the weekend. Post-graduate defenseman Simon Mandel ‘20 says that “the game was an all-around team win. Everyone contributed in some way.”

However, Kent’s most notable win came against Kimball Union Academy, who is currently the three-time defending New England champions. Kent was able to come away with a gritty 5-2 win. Two goals came quickly for Kent after Kimball pulled their goalie, so most of the game was at a tightly contested 3-2. New goaltender Joey Purtell ‘21 played an outstanding game, saving 43 out of 45 shots.

The following weekend, the team faced their first true adversity of the season, suffering a loss to Brunswick School. However, Passante says that the game “served as a lesson to the team that we need to remain focused and determined each and every day.”

With loads of “young and fresh talent,” according to Kleinhans, the Kent boys hockey team hopes to continue their early success into the new year and hopefully into the postseason. “Our ultimate goal is to bring home a New England Elite 8 tournament championship this year,” says Kleinhans.