Athlete Profile: Ari Rosen ’19

Courtesy of Lucian Polk ’19

Kenta Neary

Ari Rosen ’19 is a four-year member of Kent School Boat Club. Currently, he is the oarsman on the boys first boat. He has been on the first boat for three years now, and in his final year, he hopes to win the New England Championship. With a few races left this season, Rosen wishes to have a great end to his Kent School career.

Rosen trains hard to compete at a high level every year. Unlike some sports, crew requires commitment all year long, as it is very physically demanding. Rosen explains that “training all week, then being able to race on the weekend makes it worth it. The hardest thing about rowing is pushing yourself is every day on the water, but the pain pays off when you’re able to race and show people the work that you’ve put in.”

While the journey to the finish line is long and tough, the boys first boat has impressively won 6 out of 8 races so far this year. According to Ari, his teammates pulled so hard that after a race against Exeter, several were sick by the time they reached the finish line.

Rosen, since his beginnings as a freshman rower, has developed into a stellar student and rower at Kent. He says, “it’s nice being able to see freshman this year develop into better people and athletes, it reminds me of myself as a freshman asking seniors.”

He acknowledges the many people that have helped him improve as a rower, including his brothers, teammates, and Coach Houston. Regarding Coach Houston, Ari states, “Coach Houston is an incredible coach who’s helped me throughout high school and created a better future for myself as a rower and student.”

Rosen’s Kent School career was very decorated and accomplished. He will leave a lasting impact on the boat club and will continue his rowing career at Brown University.