Girls Varsity Lacrosse Brings Home Win Over Westover

Cherim Kang, Campus Reporter

On a breezy day in April, Kent School girls varsity lacrosse players were busy preparing for their big game against Westover School. For this game, girls were eager to defeat their opponent, as they had lost their last match against Ethel Walker School by 7-20. The girls were well prepared for this game, and they raced onto the field with enthusiasm in their eyes.

This year, the team embarked on their lacrosse journey with a special start. Towards the end of the Spring term, the team went on a trip to Florida. Coach Courtney Duncan mentions how the pre-season trip benefitted the team as a whole, “we had almost everyone come down to Florida for our pre-season trip which was a ton of fun! Girls really got a chance to bond together. We played two games in Florida, and we won one and lost one, and we also got to go to the Disney parks every night which made all of our players feel good. So I think coming into the season with that pre-season trip, we were able to get an excellent unit.” Hence, with the vitamin D boost from the pre-season trip to Florida, the team was even more enthusiastic about defeating their opponent this time around.

When the game started, all of the girls showed effective communication skills and teamwork. Their strong collaboration resulted in plenty of goals from the team. One of the team’s captains, Caroline Grout ‘19, scored 4 times, and both Hannah Kent ‘21 and Mallory Mauracher ‘21 scored 3 times. Coach Duncan was very pleased with all of the girls and their contribution to the game. She takes pride in that “probably more than 10 different girls scored goals. It was an excellent opportunity to practice our plays, to have our defense play offense and attackers play defense and really mix it up.”

This year, the girls’ varsity lacrosse team became a very unique team because they have only two seniors in the team. However, when the girls get their feet on the field, they are always prepared, even without upper former leaders.

Coach Duncan says, “I think that it is important to make sure to stay positive. The big thing they worked on their spring trip was communication and staying positive with one another because when we work as a group together, we are going to accomplish more than we could than we play individually.” With positivity and partnership in the team’s spirit, the girls’ lacrosse team will be able to show their capabilities and accomplish further in their next game and season.