Kent Boys Hockey Ties Taft in exciting game

Ari Rosen, Campus Reporter

On January 23rd, the Kent Lions took on the Taft Rhinos at home. While talking to captain Colin Cobb ’19 before the game, he said “the boys are looking to bounce back against a tough loss against Salisbury. We’re keeping our heads high and looking forward to it.” The boys definitely played a strong game as a fluid collective team.

In the first few minutes of the game, Michael Posma ’19, a new student to Kent, scored the first goal and gave Kent the lead 1-0. Josh Stich ’19 also had a great defensive play, getting the puck out of the zone on a 2 on 1 play by Taft. Alex Laferriere ’20 finished the first period scoring off a tip in the last minute. This gave Kent the lead 2-0.

The second period was full of back and forth between the teams. Both teams continued to stay hungry and aggressive whilst trying to score. Cobb made a big hit on a Taft athlete, resulting in the crowd and team getting rowdy, and adding to the great energy in the rink. The second period finished with the score of 2-0 Kent.

Early in the third period, Taft scored, making it 2-1. Kent kept their heads held high and continued to play hard. After great passing in Taft’s zone, Dane Dowiak ’20 scored a great shot assisted by Cobb, making the score 3-1. Taft retaliated and scored. In the last minute, Taft pulled their goalie to take another offensive player. The Rhinos were able to score in the last minute, tying the game 3-3.

In overtime, after many exciting fast breaks and close shots, neither team scored, leading to a tie game.

This year, the Lions have had a strong team and great work ethic. As Coach Reinhardt says, “our goal is to get better every day and do so with great enthusiasm.” They hope to keep doing what they’re doing and continue to work hard, so they can achieve their goal of winning the Founder League Championships.