Being a Part of the Kent Music Community

Jean Udompanyawit

Carley Mitchell ’22 plays the violin

Jean Udompanyawit

The start of a new academic year also offers Kent students a chance to get involved in various activities. Not only are students discovering hidden passions, but also different departments in the Kent community welcome new students who wish to pursue specific fields.

The music department is one of the places that welcomes any student who wishes to learn and be a part of the musical community. Whether you aspire to project your voice or to play an instrument, Kent always has space for you to develop your skills.

A selection of music programs is offered at Kent. Different ensembles welcome new members each year. Large groups include the orchestra, concert band, and concert choir. There are also a number of smaller ensembles such as the jazz band, piano trio, string quintet, flute ensemble, and other chamber groups. Students in these groups receive the opportunity to create their own music and pursue their interests. Mrs. Hobbs, the Chair of the Music Department, states that “students of the same levels tend to group up to play and help push each other forward, beyond their own skills.” Mrs. Hobbs also explains her love for music and how she is very thankful to have “found a job where she gets to teach it and still perform.”

Each year, new students fill up the space of the graduating seniors of the program, adding new character and dimension to the ensembles. Carley Mitchell ‘21, a new sophomore, recently joined the orchestra, string quintet, and she is singing with the Kentettes and the concert choir. Having played the violin for twelve years, Carley chose Kent to pursue a higher level of music. In fact, the music program was one of the first factors that attracted her to Kent; violin is “pretty much [her] life.” She believes the music department provides her with many opportunities to learn and grow as a musician.

With effort, practice, and improvement, music at Kent can be enjoyed by anyone. Mrs. Hobbs says that “attendance… as well as your commitment and your dedication to learning in those groups, are very important.” She is “very pleased that Kent considers music to be academic and values it on that level, as much as English, History, and Math.” Both she and the entire Kent community believe that music is vital for balance on campus.