Student Photography Exhibit in the Walkway Gallery

Emma Fox, Campus News Reporter

For the first time in many years, an exhibit featuring only student photography has been hung in the Walkway Gallery, neighboring Mattison Auditorium. The exhibit showcases the work of 16 skilled artists, exploring new perspectives cultivated by the prompts provided by art teachers Ms. Lynch and Mr. Scofield.

In the past, student photography was only displayed in the art studios. With a recent increase in the popularity of AP photography courses, Ms. Lynch and Mr. Scofield decided to display the works of talented photography students in the Walkway Gallery, where the general student body and faculty can enjoy the works.

Artists from advanced photography and digital imaging were encouraged to present their best work from winter term. Having a place to display their work is important to students, who are looking to gain recognition within the community as well as outside of it.

The exhibit features a wide range of photography, spanning from eccentric sci-fi pieces to intricate black and white profiles. Avid photographer Kathryn Li ’20 explained that she “used photoshop for design purposes” to create depth in her work “Stargazing” for prompt of the chapel and the stars. PJ Kaewsawang ’19 received both state and national recognition for his avant-garde piece, “After Death.”

The photography exhibit will be up in the Walkway Gallery until April 30th, followed an exhibit on Chinese opera.