Boys hockey fights hard against Taft

Rachel Sturm, Campus News Reporter

On Wednesday, January 31st, Boys Varsity Hockey played against Taft, their rival in the Founders League.  Taft is in the Housatonic League, along with our team, and the boys play them twice a year. Kent has a history with Taft, and it’s been known to be a “back and forth series,” Coach Reinhardt recalls.  

Prior to the game, Coach Reinhardt expressed that he felt “our players are prepared.” After a poor game the previous Saturday, he thought this game was a good chance for the hockey team to refocus. He believed that the boys were “hoping for some redemption from Saturday’s performance,” and that the game could go either way, remaining hopeful and positive.

In the first period, Kent didn’t make any goals, but Taft scored two. During the second period, Kent supported the team with loud cheers as Jeremy Routh ‘18 and Colin Cobb ‘19 each scored goals, making the remainder of the game a close call and more intense to watch. During the third period, Kent fought hard and played well, but couldn’t block 2 shots made by Taft. Kent stayed hopeful, but unfortunately, the game terminated 4-2 Taft.

When asked how the season is going so far, Coach Reinhardt reflected that the team has had its ups and downs.  He explained how they’ve “had a really good stretch in the lead up to winter break, and continued that for the first couple games after.” That said, “the last couple games haven’t been great, right before we left for the flooding and after we’ve gotten back, so it’s been up and down, but overall pretty good.”

Reinhardt concluded by describing how “this year has been a really fun team to coach. Our senior leadership has been awesome. They really support each other and the team really does play for each other. Everybody seems to really pull for the whole team, and the positive energy is overwhelming.”