One year later: a Memorial for Emelia Carl Worth ’17

Lily Armstrong, Campus News Reporter

It was both inspiring and heartwarming experience to witness Kent community members come together in St Joseph’s Chapel to celebrate the life of Emelia Carl Worth on the anniversary of her passing. Both faculty and students came together to share stories of laughter, nostalgia, and love to capture the spirit of Em as a student, teammate, performer, role model, comedian, daughter, and friend.

Tyler Holder ’18, when asked about the preparation for the service, explained that the preparation, with the help of fellow senior prefect, Carly Denora ’18, began weeks ago. They first contacted a handful of SC members and other members of the community to gauge their interest  in participating in the memorial. He comments, “No one really knew right away, but within a few days, they said they would like to perform or read a prayer or read something they wrote. We finally concluded with around 20 names on our list of speakers and performers, and because of this, we had also decided to add a Quaker style portion at the end, so that anyone who felt moved to speak, could speak.”

Tyler also added that as the memorial drew closer some people got cold feet and other performers rose to the occasion: “I figured this was because they thought they might be too emotional or that they felt uncomfortable doing whatever they had originally wanted to do. On the opposite end of the spectrum, people would change their mind and suddenly want to perform or do something. So even up to a few hours before  the memorial the list was still being changed.”

As for the service, it was candid and unexpected, yet natural. The service began with musical performances from Michael Eustace ’18, Mae Provost ’18, Cooper Leblanc ’18, Georgia Ambler ’18, Katie Palmer ’18, Dylan Stewart ’18, Simon Green ’18, and Mr. Stewart playing songs by The Lumineers, Bon Iver, Coldplay, and “Wait For It” from Hamilton. The performances were followed by heartwarming speeches, both prepared and impromptu, from students including but not limited to Sophie Murphy ’18, Ella Agger-Pilon ’19, Simon Green ’18, and Cassidy Bromka ’18. Members of the class of 2017 returned to Kent to share their favorite memories of Em, and even Mr. Austin, Mr. Wells, and Emilia’s father came up to regale participants about stories of Em. Denora adds, “I thought the service was really nice for the Kent community to come together around. Performances by God Squad, Mr. Stewart playing Emelia’s bass guitar, and all the stories by friends and family were among my favorite moments of the afternoon. It was a beautiful blend of tears and laughter, of grief and healing, and without a doubt a needed gift for all in attendance.”

It was truly a gift to get to be present in so much passion and empathy, even in the face of such grief. Anna Wohlin articulated perfectly that “by sharing the stories and beautiful memories of Em, I think we were able to do what we’ve all wanted to do for a while, which was celebrate her life and the unbelievable person she was. It made me so grateful to be a part of such a strong and loving community.” The community is not only grateful for the stories, and memories Em left with us, but it is also grateful to the strength it derives from coming together to love and hold one another.

Em, it has been a full year since you left us, but we will love you, remember you, and be inspired by you everyday.