Kent Play Reading Series presents GRAY LADY

Erin Shannon, Campus News Reporter

On Saturday, January 6th the Kent Play Reading Series put on their latest play, Grey Lady. The cast reads plays to get exposure to a wide range of material that they might not get the chance to read otherwise. Students and faculty can come watch the performers put on a wonderful show like this Saturday’s, while also exposing themselves to new and interesting plays.

This Saturday’s play, Grey Lady, was about a women named Cady who, after her husband’s death, decides to enlist in the Civil War. She begins by disguising herself as a man, and later after making friends with a man named Ralph, reveals herself to be a women as the two start to become more than friends.

Isabelle Liser ‘19, who read the part of Cady said this about the play, “personally loved the play. It is an amazing story about a Nantucketer that decides to join the Civil War in memory of her husband, and the love, hardships, and self discovery that comes with that.”  

Liser also commented on how lucky the cast was to have the author, Kate Mulley, present to read the stage directions and answer any questions that they had, which made the performance even better.

Zoe Benjamin ‘20, another actor in Grey Lady, commented “I have either watched or participated in all of the pieces performed for the Play Reading Series. I have loved getting to know new plays each month and learning about the playwrights and their different styles.”

The Kent Play Reading Series is a great opportunity for any student to get to know lesser known, but still fantastic, plays. The plays are also a great way to experience theatrical arts without the time commitment.