Boys basketball has tough battle with Canterbury

Lily Armstrong, Campus News Reporter

The Kent boys varsity basketball team had a great start to the 2017-18 season, winning their scrimmage against Gunnery with an exciting 56-37. This year, the boys are facing an especially challenging season due to their high-ranked opponents and the absence of recruited players, but they are working extra hard to make the best out of the season.

Before the game on December 6th against Canterbury, Drew Richards ’18, expressed his and his teammates’ excitement: “The whole team has been looking forward to this game since last Wednesday, but it is my job as a leader to stay composed throughout the whole game. And if I do, I believe my teammates will follow.”

Although the boys ended up losing 36-74, this game captured several key moments of strength and grit in our players. Richards and his fellow teammates’ leadership and determination resonated all through the game. The boys continued to cheer loudly for their teammates, communicated well on the court, and made some great passes to one another. In the end, their ability to stay unified and positive showed the strength of the team, which allowed it to stand no matter what the outcome was.

Coach Coulombe described the league as “one of the toughest basketball leagues in the country” and, despite the loss, commented with pride about his team, that, “Even with no recruited players this year, the guys are very coachable and all support one another on and off the court. They want to get as much out of this experience as they can.”

This Saturday the team is traveling to Wallingford to play against Choate Rosemary Hall. The coach and the teammates are confident that they will continue to play hard, stay composed, and remain collected as a team unit. “We all feel good about the season because Coach Coulombe has prepared us well. Now it is our job to play hard and play to win,” said Richards.