Girls soccer radiates energy and effort

Menes

Fighting a Walkers player for possession

Alice Benjamin, Staff Writer

Anyone walking past the Headmaster’s Field on game day is bound to feel the energy radiating off the Kent girls varsity soccer team.

The KGVS may have lost a number of strong seniors last year, but the team is off to a fresh start this year with the same old enthusiasm and a number of new students, many of whom are starters. As one of the team’s veteran defenders says, “It was sad to see our seniors go, but the vibe of the team is so different this year; everyone has gotten so close in the short two weeks we’ve had together.”

Despite a tough first two games of the season, the team is improving steadily and focusing on working together. A tough game against Ethel Walker on September 23 ended in a loss, but the team already showed improvement from their loss against Canterbury earlier that week.

Coach Klingebiel commented, “The team is working hard and showing a lot of improvement so far. Much of that is due to the great leadership from our seniors and the fantastic attitude all of the girls bring to all practices and games. We’re looking forward to a good season.”

The girls communicate well and always hustle. The team is brimming with support and positivity, both before and after games. Before every match, each player is assigned another player on the team to make a sign and get a small present for to get her pumped up. According to one player, “My psych sign brightens up my day and gets me ready for the game.”

Even in the middle of a busy day, the KGVS is worth stopping by to watch. Their games are always exciting, and everyone on the team is sure a great season lies ahead.