Staff Profile: Mr. Keith Krizan

Theo Freidenrich, Campus News Reporter

2017 marks Keith Krizan’s 24th year at Kent School. Mr. Krizan moved to the town of Kent in 1993, living here before ever working for the school. He says he was drawn to Kent “because of the sheer beauty of the place, with the river and the mountains.” Here at the school, Mr. Krizan’s job in maintenance and security “entails just a little bit of everything.”

Mr. Krizan grew up in Danbury, Connecticut, just 40 minutes south of campus. His son, Paul Krizan attended the Kent Center School and graduated from Kent School in 1997.

When asked about his work, Mr. Krizan explained, “I see it as my responsibility to keep as many things locked up as I can to stop teenagers from making bad decisions.” This is all part of the responsibility of a security officer. Mr. Krizan takes this great responsibility to heart, as one can see through the fact that one of his favorite quotes is, “discretion is the better part of valor.”

While the hours are long and the job is not easy, Mr. Krizan is always working to take care of the students. On top of his many other responsibilities, he can often be seen walking around campus in the evenings, speaking with students on a range of subjects from their winter weekend plans to the naming of the constellations. He noted that, “working in an academic setting is great, even in a non-academic role… there are so many bright kids here.” Mr. Krizan is so enthusiastic about the Kent community that he was even a consistent contributor to the KENT NEWS until several years ago.

His contributions to the school have been numerous and extremely valuable to Kent, its students, and its faculty. While he may not be the most visible face on campus, if you do run into Keith, make sure to say a quick hello and chat for a few; he has some great stories to tell and will make those five minutes some of the best in your day.