Class Profile: AP Computer Science Principles with Mr. Saxton

Stewart Sykes, Campus News Reporter

Kent School has just added a new AP class to the variety of academic courses it has to offer: AP Computer Science Principles (AP CSP), a course launched by the College Board in the fall of 2016.

According to Mr. Saxton, AP CSP is different from AP Computer Science A in that it “is more of a breadth course.” Students handle “a broad range of computer science topics, exploring how to program [and] solve problems.” They also examine “how the internet works” and such subjects as “cryptography, algorithms, and big data.”

Thirteen students are currently signed up for this class, Cooper LeBlanc ’18 being one of them. “I enjoy AP CSP because it allows students to explore using computer tools to create apps that express their interests,” LeBlanc said. He also mentioned the importance of computer science in this technology-driven day and age.

According to the College Board,  “Computer science skills are in high demand and are valued by colleges and employers throughout the world.” Mr. Saxton, of course, supports this view. “The skills you learn in this class will relate to whatever subject you end up majoring in,” he said.

Both LeBlanc and Mr. Saxton recommend the course to anyone who is interested. “I think it’s a fun, interactive and creative class that anybody would enjoy,” said LeBlanc. “It doesn’t matter what you are going to study or pursue as a career,” stressed Mr. Saxton. He believes that no matter what field  a student chooses to go into, computers will be part of it. “Knowing how to use a computer to solve problems in your area of interest is going to be critical [not only in] getting jobs but also [in doing] what you want to do in your field,” he said.