Boys Swimming and Diving Falls to Loomis

Tom Mortimer, Campus News Reporter

On Wednesday, the Boys Varsity Swimming and Diving team had their first meet of the new year against Loomis Chaffee–a reliably strong opponent. Over the course of the three-hour meet, both teams put up a fine display, but, despite valiant efforts by the Kent boys, Loomis came away with the overall win.

The swimming team benefited from a fine start with the boys earning second place out of six in the 200-yard medley. Cooper LeBlanc ‘18 put in a good finish in the 200 yard freestyle, and explained that “it was a tough competition and I don’t usually race this stroke, so I’m happy with my performance.”

Robby Lane ‘18 was another stand-out as he secured a second place finish in the 50-yard freestyle. Throughout the meet, the boys were very supportive of each other and are now looking to build upon their performance as they prepare to face the likes of Westminster and Williston in the next weeks.

During the intermission, the boys diving squad took to the board and put on an exciting performance. With six dives each, the boys fearlessly tried some new dives. Ms. Prickett, the diving coach, said that she felt “very proud of the squad as this was their first meet. They had to learn new dives in practice the night before.” Between now and the next meet, the boys will be working on the ‘DD’ (Degree of Difficulty) of their dives in order to increase their scores.

There is more hard work ahead, but they’re having fun doing it — as Miss Prickett likes to remind her team, “a day without laughter is a day wasted.”