Student Profile: Lachlan Cormie ’17

Lucy Zhang, Campus News Reporter

If there is any student who has truly taken advantage of the Kent experience, it is Lachlan Cormie ’17. Coming into Kent his freshman year, Cormie was a timid student lacking in self-confidence. However, he has pushed himself out of his comfort zone by involving himself in the Kent community as much as possible.

Cormie has exhibited impressive determination and perseverance over his four years at Kent. Going into his sophomore year, he lost over 50 pounds and with that, according to Cormie, came “a new sense of confidence.”

This newfound confidence prompted him to run for class representative, and he emerged as one of the two male reps. Later, during his junior year, he would be tapped as Borsdorf Hall Prefect, which he sees as an opportunity to “provide good leadership and to set an example for others.”

Cormie as also translated his determination and perseverance to other aspects of his life. In the classroom, he maintains a High Honors GPA and perfect attendance. He is also a member of the band, orchestra and jazz band, where he is a leader in both the tenor saxophone and viola section and is often noted for his excellent jazz solos at various concerts.

Cormie highlighted his passion for music, saying how music “is an escape from the stressful times that can occur at Kent.” During his Junior year, Cormie was inducted into the Kent chapter of the Tri-M Music Honor Society.

Cormie also contributes greatly to Kent’s athletics, and is one of the few tri-sport athletes in his form. For the past two autumns, he has run cross country, during which he prides himself on “helping many of the novices adjust to the team,” according to Cormie.

Cormie is a four-year swimmer and is currently one of the captains. But his most notable athletic accomplishments come from his time on the crew team. Cormie has progressed from barely making the fourth boat to becoming the stroke of the varsity second boat that won the highly competitive New England Championships.

This upcoming season, he hopes to “help contribute to the success of the Boat Club” and “potentially earn a spot to go to the Henley Royal Regatta” in England. Cormie plans to continue the sport as a lightweight rower in college, a remarkable achievement from someone who was considered overweight his freshman year.

Cormie has certainly made his mark on campus life at Kent, whether it’s in the classroom, on the athletic fields or in the music rooms. He has impacted the school positively through his active participation and strong leadership.